The contents in the “archives” were created and posted by the previous owners of this website. We are not responsible for any misleading or incorrect content that is posted here.
KAMPALA, Sept 22 (Reuters) – Uganda has confirmed seven cases of Ebola, including a 24-year-old man who died earlier this week, and another seven deaths are being investigated as suspected cases, a government official told The Health on Thursday.
The deceased man had a high fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain and was vomiting blood. After initially being treated for malaria, he was diagnosed with the Sudanese strain of the Ebola virus.
“To date we have seven confirmed cases from which we have one confirmed death,” said Dr. Kyobe Henry Bbosa, Ebola Incident Commander at the Ugandan Ministry of Health, at a briefing.
“But we also have seven probable cases that died before the outbreak was confirmed.”
The last time Uganda reported an outbreak of the Sudanese Ebola strain was in 2012.
In 2019, the country experienced an Ebola outbreak in Zaire. The virus was brought in from neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo, which was battling a major epidemic in its northeastern region.
In August, a new case of the Ebola virus was confirmed in the city of Beni in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. An Ebola vaccination campaign was launched in the Congolese city of Beni last month.
(Reporting by Elias Biryabarema and George Obulutsa; Writing by James Macharia Chege; Editing in Spanish by Ricardo Figueroa)